Application Process

How do I apply for it?

Your admission application to the College will qualify you for merit-based institutional scholarships. There is no separate scholarship application for institutional financial aid. If you are interested in scholarship opportunities through our Athletic Department and Division of Creative Arts, simply indicate so on your admission application and your counselor will be able to connect you with the appropriate coach or program chairperson for scholarship audition.

Should I fill out the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will qualify you for any eligible gift and self-help aid resources the government may have available. Visit to obtain a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) and then to complete the online application. The FAFSA is applied for each year beginning on October 1. The sooner you file, the sooner you will get the results. West Virginia residents should be sure to apply prior to March 1 to meet the deadlines for the PROMISE Scholarship (March 1) and the Higher Education Grant (April 15). Be sure to include D&E’s school code (003811) on your application to ensure the results will be automatically sent to us once available.

In addition to the FAFSA, West Virginia residents should also complete the State-Level Application online at prior to March 1 to meet the deadline for the PROMISE Scholarship. Please contact our office at 304-637-1271 if you have any questions or require assistance in completing your FAFSA.

How do I find out what I am getting?

Anytime new financial aid becomes available to you, or your current financial aid changes, you will be updated through a Financial Aid Award Letter sent to you in the mail. This letter will list all aid for which you are currently eligible. Your first award letter will arrive within a week of your acceptance to the College. As a returning student, your award letter for an upcoming year will be sent out to you during the summer prior. You will want to notify us if there is anything in your current financial aid package that you would like to decline or reduce, such as a loan.

What if it isn’t enough?

Do not worry if your financial aid package does not currently provide as much support as you require in affording college. There are further loan and financing options available for you, as well as outside scholarships you may be eligible for ( As a dependent student, your parent can apply for a Federal Parent PLUS Loan at to help fill the gap between your expenses and financial aid. The PLUS loan is credit-based loan, but if denied, your Stafford loan eligibility increases. This makes the PLUS loan a win-win situation since you are guaranteed a return no matter the outcome of the credit review. In addition to the Parent PLUS Loan, students also have the option of a private student loan to help cover their expenses. Independent and dependent students alike can apply for a private student loan. They are credit-based loans that typically give you the option of a fixed or variable rate and deferred or immediate repayment. Your interest rate will be determined by your credit worthiness. You can review a list of our recommended private loan lenders online. Please contact our office at 304-637-1366 for additional information on your loan options.

What do I need to do to get what I have been offered?

Read your award letter and any supplemental information carefully and completely and make sure to follow all instructions included and mailed to you separately. If your FAFSA has been selected by the federal government for a process called Verification, you will need to complete this process before any federal aid will be disbursed to Davis & Elkins for you. As a first-year student or transfer student, you will also need to complete loan applications and online counseling for federal loans that are part of your financial aid package. Directions for completing these applications will be sent separately.

What is Verification?

Verification is a process implemented by the federal government to verify the accuracy of student FAFSA details. FAFSA submissions are selected by the FAFSA system at random for this process. If you have been selected you will be notified in a letter. With the letter, a Federal Verification Worksheet will be attached providing instructions for completing the form and submitting it back to D&E along with any additional steps. In most cases, you will also be required to verify Federal Income Tax information through an IRS source (IRS Data Retrieval Tool online or IRS Tax Return Transcript). As a dependent student, verification of your parents’ information will be required, as well as your own. If you are married, you will need to verify information for your spouse. You may also be required to submit documentation verifying any amounts entered on your application regarding your/your parents’/your spouse’s untaxed income, additional financial information provided, federal benefit programs, citizenship and identity. Please contact our office at 304-637-1271 if you have questions or require assistance in completing your verification.

Do I have to do all this again next year?

You will not have to apply for institutional aid after your first year. As long as you maintain eligibility for your first-year awards they will automatically be applied to your subsequent years’ financial aid packages. In order to receive federal aid after your first year, you will need to file a renewal FAFSA online at www.FAFSA.govThis must happen as soon as possible after October 1 each year you wish to receive federal aid. Stafford loan applications do not have to be completed again after your first year of study.