Chair, Division of Education and Sport Science; Assistant Professor of Education
Location: Liberal Arts Hall 300
- Ed.D. Educational Leadership, West Virginia University, Morgantown, W.Va.
- M.A. Education, Salem-Teikyo University, Salem, W.Va.
- B.S. Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education, Davis & Elkins College
- Appreciative Inquiry Training
- Cognitive Coaching Completion Certificate
- School Improvement Specialist, Virginia Department of Education, Richmond, Va.
- West Virginia Field Coordinator, Mid-Atlantic Equity Center, Bethesda, Md.
- Project Architect, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
- Assistant Director, Regional Initiatives; Research and Development Specialist; Liaison to Teacher Quality Center and Center on Instruction; Institutional Review Board Member; Educational Tools and Strategies Developer; and Standards and Professional Practices Review Team Leader and Member, Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center, Charleston, W.Va.
- Graduate Faculty Doctoral Team Member, University of Maryland - Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, Md.
- Assistant Superintendent, Pre-K 12 Curriculum and Instruction, Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, Va.
- Remedial Reading Teacher/Coordinator; Adult Education Teacher; Federal Programs Director; Special Education Director; Title IX Coordinator; Project and Grants Manager; Safe and Drug-Free Schools Coordinator; Adult Education Coordinator; Professional Development Coordinator; Liaison for Legal Services; Policy Developer; and Assistant to Superintendent, Tucker County Schools, Parsons, W.Va.
- Accreditation Reviews Team Member and Consultant, West Virginia Department of Education and Office of Educational Performance Accreditation, Charleston, W.Va.
- Adjunct Professor and College Courses Coordinator, Fairmont State College and Potomac State College/Tucker County Board of Education, Parsons, W.Va.
- Advisory Team Member and Reviewer, Title I, Title II and Safe and Drug-Free Schools, West Virginia Department of Education, Charleston, W.Va.
- Title I Resource Teacher and Coordinator, Tucker County Schools, Parsons, W.Va.
- School Improvement Consultant, Parsons, W.Va.
- The School in American Society
Research Interests/Professional Activities:
Carr has developed and delivered many presentations focusing on various aspects of education throughout the United States. Presentation topics include college and career readiness, school improvement, teacher effectiveness, equity issues and student assessment.
Throughout her life-long career in education, Carr has been presented with numerous awards, including the Title I Distinguished Schools Award, Delta Kappa Gamma International Scholarship, West Virginia Alliance of Businesses and Education First Grantsmanship Award, Governor’s Recognition Award for Outstanding Early Childhood Programs, and Davis & Elkins College Education Award.
Carr has published several works. Select publications include:
- Carr, D. & Claud, S. (2014). Reading Academic Review: Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, Va.
- Carr, D., Gruen, E., & Harrison, E. (2013). Innovative Products and Services to Advance Learning: A Report for The Wisconsin Center for Educational Products and Services (WCEPS). New York, N.Y.: Quantum Media.
- Carr, D. & Claud, S. (2013). Freshman Seminar Curriculum Guide. Franklin City Public Schools, Va., University of Virginia School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Charlottesville, Va.
- Carr, D. & Claud, S. (2012). Tiered Intervention Model for Early Warning Systems. Franklin City Public Schools, Va., University of Virginia School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Charlottesville, Va.
- Carr, D., Braley, D., & Good, K. (2012). Differentiated Approach to Technical Assistance: A Suite of Technical Assistance Tools. Developed for Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center at Edvantia, Charleston, W.Va.
- Carr, D. & DiCerbo, P. (2011). School Improvement Grant (SIG) Assessment Tool. Developed collaboratively with the Center on Innovation & Improvement (CII) for Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center at Edvantia, Charleston, W.Va. and Mid-Atlantic Comprehensive Center at the George Washington University Center for Equity and Excellence in Education, Arlington, Va.
- Carr, D. & Millet, J. (2011). Keeping Students on the Track to Graduation. Mid-Atlantic Equity Center at the George Washington University Center for Equity and Excellence in Education, Arlington, Va.
- Carr, D. & Johnston, K. (2010). Paving the Way to Successful Capacity Building: Uncovering the Underlying Equity Issues. Brief. Appalachia Regional Comprehensive Center at Edvantia, Charleston, W.Va.