ELKINS – For more than 100 years, the stone wall surrounding the lower campus of Davis & Elkins College and former Davis Elkins estate has been admired by many passersby. Its history and ties to an Elkins family are now displayed on a plaque near the College entrance.
ELKINS – Davis & Elkins College will host two-term Gilbert-Chappell Distinguished Poet for the Eastern Region of North Carolina and award-winning poet John Hoppenthaler for the 21st annual D&E Writers’ Series. Events planned for October 23 and 24 – a writer’s workshop, poetry reading and book signing – are free and open to the public.
ELKINS – Augusta Heritage Center of Davis & Elkins College will present various free events open to the public during its annual WV Fiddlers’ Reunion and Instrument Makers’ Gathering. Activities on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19 will focus on West Virginia’s rich traditions of old-time music, with a showcase of West Virginia fiddlers and traditional instrument makers.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins freshman Svea Timm earned the Mountain East Conference (MEC) Women's Cross Country Runner of the Week award, the league announced on Tuesday.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins finished in the top five in all its events this fall, ending the first half of the season with four finishes inside the top three.
- SENATORNATION - The Davis & Elkins College Senators Women's Tennis team stayed perfect on the season, picking up two wins on Saturday at the Hollins Invitational in Roanoke, Va..
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins launched a season-high 32 shots as a team and freshman goalie Sierra Curtis made 11 stops in a 0-0 home draw against Urbana on Sunday afternoon in Mountain East Conference (MEC) play.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins could not overcome an early deficit in a 2-1 loss to Urbana on Saturday night in Mountain East Conference (MEC) play.
ELKINS – The Davis & Elkins College Division of Creative Arts Stage and Screen program will soon kick off its 2019-2020 season with an adaptation of Mary Shelley’s seminal horror novel “Frankenstein.” Written by Barbara Fields, “Playing With Fire: After Frankenstein” will be presented at 8 p.m. October 17 and 18, at 10:30 p.m. October 19 and at 4:30 p.m. on October 20.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins was picked fourth in the latest NCAA Atlantic region Rankings by the USTFCCCA. The Senators held down the number four spot for the second consecutive week.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins remained atop the Atlantic Region Rankings for the fourth straight week.
ELKINS – Dr. Amy-Jill Levine, Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies at Vanderbilt University and author of books for adults and children, will deliver the William E. Phipps Religion & Philosophy Interdisciplinary Lecture at 7 p.m. Thursday, October 17 in Madden Student Center, Timms Lounge. Her talk is titled “Jesus the Jewish Storyteller: Hearing the Parables in Their Time and Ours.”
- SENATORNATION - Fairmont State cashed in with a late goal on Wednesday night, handing Davis & Elkins a tough 1-0 loss in Mountain East conference (MEC) play at Duvall-Rosier Field.
- SENATORNATION - Victor Pires made a nifty move with the ball and poked a shot into the right corner of the net in the 14th minute to push Davis & Elkins to a 1-0 shutout victory against Wheeling on Wednesday night at a crisp Nuttall Field.
- SENATORNATION - Needing to win a playoff against Glenville State to keep going in the tournament, the Davis & Elkins Senators did just that and continued playing on into the final round.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins was just one shot off the lead heading into the final day of the MEC Golf Championships, but a 311 in the third round bumped the Senators to third place overall.
- SENATORNATION - Davis & Elkins freshman Jiwh Santos earned the Mountain East Conference (MEC) Men's Swimmer of the Week award, the league announced Wednesday afternoon.
- SENATORNATION - Propelled by two players with double-digit kill performances and a stout effort at the net, Davis & Elkins took down West Virginia Wesleyan, 3-1, to win its fourth consecutive match in Mountain East Conference (MEC) play.
ELKINS – Three Davis & Elkins College faculty members have been granted promotions. Recognized at the annual Founders’ Day Convocation were Stephen S. Mattingly, Melissa A. McCoy and Dr. Christina H. Swecker.
ELKINS – Davis & Elkins College student Thaddaus Breckenridge took top speaker honors at the Queen City Invitational hosted by Belmont Abbey College September 28-29. Five members of the Debate Society also placed in the competition.
Breckenridge, a junior from Beckley, serves as president of the D&E Debate Society.
ELKINS – Davis & Elkins College will again play a major role in the Mountain State Forest Festival with a float representing the College in the Grand Feature Parade and 14 students serving as princesses in the Royal Court of Maid Silvia LXXXIII. Additional members of the court have ties to D&E.
ELKINS – The Davis & Elkins College Board of Trustees has unanimously approved a campus master plan that will prepare the institution for future growth on several fronts. This plan is a component of the five-year strategic plan initiated by D&E President Chris A. Wood in 2017 and approved by the Board of Trustees in 2018.
ELKINS – Davis & Elkins College Department of Education students were recently inducted into Kappa Delta Pi international honor society in education.
ELKINS – The Rev. Moon-Sook Lee, executive secretary of the Asian Church Women’s Conference, will share her experiences of life on the divided Korean Peninsula at 3 p.m. Sunday, September 29 in Halliehurst on the campus of Davis & Elkins College. Free and open to the public, the event is presented in partnership with the Davis & Elkins College Morrison-Novakovic Center for Faith and Public Policy, Presbytery of West Virginia and Davis Memorial Presbyterian Church.
D&E student Ellie Rossiter of Stowmarket, England, center, received a special visit from her host family, Steve and Debbie Larkin, for the international student end-of-semester dinner. Although Debbie Larkin retired from D&E last summer and the couple relocated out of state, they remained as Rossiter’s host family. Photo by Karin Rosario. To see more photos from D&E, visit Flickr.